Bored of eating your regular Cabbage dish? Well, here’s a different variation that will give a rich and nutty flavor, and add that punch to your overall meal. The secret ingredient is Sesame seeds. Come, let’s go inside a Nepalese kitchen!
- Cabbage – 250 gms
- Red chillIi powder – 1½ tsp
- Haldi – ½ tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 4 or 5 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds (Methi) – ½ tsp
- Sesame seeds (white til) – 4 tbsp
- Mustard oil – 3 tsp
- Chop cabbage into fine shreds. Boil it. Drain water and grind it (roughly). Keep it in a bowl.
- Dry roast the Sesame seeds and grind them, either using a blender or Mortar and pestle. Keep aside.
- Put salt, chilli powder and lemon juice in the cabbage.
- In a small pan, heat oil. When it is hot, add Fenugreek seeds. When the seeds start crackling, take them out from fire and put turmeric powder in it. Then, put it in the bowl of cabbage.
- Add Sesame seeds and mix it well. Serve as a side dish along with rice, dal (lentils) and sabji (vegetables).
Yield – 2-3 servings
Ohh.. i just hope it tastes good. Its not picture perfect and boiled cabbage with til sounds too dull for your palate. do let me know how it actually tastes before I try it at home.
@ Roh – Boil cabbage for a brief time, don’t over do it. That bit of sesame and fenugreek and lemon will contribute to the overall taste. This is like ‘achar’ or side dish….just to add punch to your meal.