Bring the taste of Louisiana to your kitchen, and see how you can transform your everyday rice to an exotic cuisine. Gumbo, a Creole-Cajun food, is an amalgam of flavors, tradition and love. A classic southern favorite can quickly become your favorite!
- Zatarain’s Gumbo Mix with Rice – 8 tbsp
- Chicken breast – 3/4 cup, diced into 1-inch cubes
- Sausage (chicken/turkey/beef) – 2, diced
- Shrimps (optional) – 8 pieces
- Red bell peppers – 1/4 cup, diced
- Onion – 1/4 cup, diced
- Garlic – 2, diced
- Water – 1 1/2 cups + ½ cup if required
- Oil – 2 tbsp
- Heat oil in a large pot. Saute garlic, onion and bell peppers.
- Add chicken and sausage, and stir for a minute. Cover and cook for 10 minutes over low heat. You can also grill your sausage and then cook it. This will give that extra smoked flavor.
- Put Gumbo mix and 1/4 cup of water in a bowl and stir them together.
- Pour the Gumbo-water mix in the pot. Give it a big stir, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat, cover and cook for 45 minutes or till your rice is cooked. Stir and scrape the bottom of the pot after every 10 minutes, and pour more water if it’s too thick.
- The Gumbo mix already has enough salt so you don’t have to add more.
- Once the gravy begins to thicken and the room starts to fill in with the exotic fragrance, that’s how you know your Gumbo is ready!
Yield: 2 servings
Leave A Comment