Here’s a fiery shrimp curry, the old fashioned way. Truly an ideal way to tantalize the palate and satisfy that Indian tummy!
- Shrimps – 12-15, small sized
- Chopped Onion – 1 big
- Chopped Tomato – 1 medium size
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Red chilli powder – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (hing) – a pinch
- Ginger-garlic paste – 1 tsp
- Oil for frying
- Combine shrimps, turmeric powder, ½ tsp red chilli powder, ginger-garlic paste and salt in a bowl. Marinate for 30 minutes, you can do this at room temperature.
- In a kadai or skillet, heat oil. Add a pinch of Asafoetida and let it splutter for a bit. Then add chopped onions and cook it over low flame stirring occasionally until lightly browned and fragrant.
- Add the tomatoes, salt and ½ tsp red chilli powder. Cook till the onion and tomatoes are tender.
- Add the shrimps and the excess liquid from the marinade. Cook on medium heat for 5 minutes, then lower the heat and cook for 8-10 minutes. Don’t overcook and make it rubbery.
- Before you turn off the heat, add coriander leaves and a dash of lemon juice and give it a stir.
- Wash your hands and sit down for a spicy treat!
Yield: 2 servings