Here’s a little sweet treat that is just the perfect accompaniment to an otherwise simple meal. Grab some tomatoes and dates, and cook up a quick, delicious chutney.
- Five spice blend (Paanch phoron) – 1/2 tsp
- Red dry chilli – 1
- Mustard oil – 1- 2 tbsp
- Tomatoes – 2 medium or 1 cup, chopped
- Dates – 3 (seeded and cut into thin slices)
- Raisins – 20
- Ginger – 1/2 inch, freshly grated, 1 tsp
- Sugar – ½ tsp or more
- Salt – to taste
- Cumin powder – ½ tsp or less (dry roast cumin seeds and grind)
- In a kadai, pour oil and heat it. When it emits smoke, lower the heat and add paanch phoron and red dry chilli.
- Put tomatoes, sprinkle salt, and cook uncovered for 2 minutes. Put dates and raisins, and cook further, for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure the dates and raisins blend with the tomatoes and become soft. Add sugar, depending upon how sweet you want.
- Put ginger and stir on medium high heat, for another 2 minutes.
- Add cumin powder, and if you want some extra heat, feel free to add a dash of red chilli powder. Stir everything together and keep aside to cool off. Adjust salt and sugar.
- This sweet chutney is best served at room temperature and goes well with rice-lentil-veggie meal or even with chicken.
Yield – 1 – 2 servings
Leave A Comment